Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Book Review - James Patterson - Kiss The Girls





One of the things I love about Patterson is his storytelling mastery.  His ability to hook me with a character, and a story, that makes me want to follow them wherever they go, and care about what happens to them.  Alex Cross is one of those characters.
I saw Kiss the Girls as a movie several years ago, but I don’t think the movie came close to giving me the same personal interaction with the characters as the book.  Perhaps it’s my own imagination kicking in, or maybe just the fact that the movie characters weren’t the same person I had envisioned.  Either way, I loved the book much more than the movie.
Definitely not your cozy mystery.  If gruesome murders and graphic torture makes you queasy, then you should probably skip this one.   I’ve often thought some of this wasn’t necessary, but these scenes take you into the mind of the killer, making them real.  Out of all the Patterson books I’ve read, I think this is probably my favorite.  The personal interest Cross has in capturing one or both of the serial killers makes him all the more human and real.  He not only needs to get these people off the street, he needs to do it before his own niece becomes the next body he finds.  A real page turner you won’t want to put down until the very end.



Similar Authors and Books I've Enjoyed

M. A. Comley knows Criminal Minds



I've only read the first two books in this series, but like Patterson, I found the characters and stories compelling.  There were scenes, like Patterson, that I felt were more gruesome or perhaps unnecessary until I reflected upon the characters and realized this is how the character would react and this is exactly what the character would do.  If you love Patterson, I think you'll Comley too.

No comments:

Post a Comment